Friday, May 23, 2014

The Wisdom of Middle Age, Exercising While Ill and Memorial Day

One of the reasons that I started this blog was to document workouts and progress. The other reason was to share ideas and thoughts about strength training and exercise for people that are middle aged like myself. One thing that I have appreciated about getting older is the judgement that I have developed over time by screwing up so much when I was younger.

If you read the last few posts you know that I have been fighting off some type of virus or bacteria that has manifested itself in the form of fever, aches and just plain old feeling crappy. Back in the day, say when I was a 19-year old, I might have actually tried to "suck it up" and continue my normal exercise routine. Now though, at 44-years old I think I have a much better sense of what is good for me.

I have developed a bit of a theory that is in no way based on anything a medical professional has advised: If I feel like I WANT to get up and exercise then I am probably able to do it. If I feel like crap and I DON'T want to get up, then I don't. The real threat the last few days with this fever that ebbs and flows between sweating profusely and being non-existent is the danger of overheating. I have been careful not to do that. Yesterday I rode the spin bike for 30-minutes and did a series of abdominal work. That was enough for yesterday.

I am contemplating resting, eating well, hydrating and hitting it hard on Monday if I am feeling better. Monday is Memorial Day here in the States. There are folks that mix up Veterans' Day and Memorial Day. Veterans' Day is when we recognize and celebrate all those people that have served this country in the military. Memorial Day is a day where we remember those members of the military who died in service to their country. For me as a former Marine and as an American, it is an important day. I am very lucky: I am in one piece physically and mentally and I was able to come home after my service. Every year I feel the need to do something to remember all those that never came home alive.

I have a workout plan for Memorial Day but I will get to that later. If I am going to pull of that workout Monday, I need to rest from this bug. See that? Hard earned middle-aged wisdom!

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment