Saturday, May 24, 2014

The Plan for Memorial Day: Murph

I have a plan for Monday's Memorial Day workout. As you know, I have not been feeling well and I have taken the last few days off to rest for my workout on Monday. "How bad can it be?" Well, in honor of Memorial Day I plan on doing a classically challenging WOD called MURPH.

First of all, yes it is interesting that I chose a WOD named MURPH being a Murphy myself. But there is a damn good reason for it. The MURPH WOD was named after Navy Seal Lt. Michael Murphy who was killed while on a mission in Afghanistan on June 28th, 2005. Murphy was killed when his four man SEAL team was attacked by 30 to 40 Taliban. The SEALS were engaged with the enemy and had killed a number of Taliban but all four SEALS were injured, the radioman was mortally wounded. Knowing that they needed help Murphy left cover and went into an open area while still under fire and got a satellite phone call out to their base giving them a location and a situation report. After completing the call, Lt. Murphy continued to engage the Taliban until he was also mortally wounded.

Clearly this guy is a way bigger bad ass than I am. But if you know me and my brothers and look at this guy's photo on the right.... you could plop him down in the middle of one of our Murphy family photos and he would fit right in! The resemblance is a bit crazy.

So this is the plan for Memorial Day here in the Sonoran Desert: Drag my ass out of bed before the sun comes up. Eat breakfast, hydrate and then crank out the MURPH in honor of Lt. Michael Murphy and his sacrifice. I am personally not attached to whether you time yourself or not, but the point on this day is to leave nothing on the table. Puking at the end? Likely. You puke at the end, you have gone fast enough.

1) One Mile Run- Do this as fast as you can! For those who have been keeping up here, you know that I have not been running. But, I will be going the fastest clydesdale style that I can.
2) 100 Pull-Ups- And none of these kipping nonsense pull-ups that are all the rage now. Do a real damn pull-up. Hang on the bar and pull 'til your chin clears it... no whipping around like a fish! If you have to do 20 sets of 5 good honest pull-ups, so be it.
3) 200 Push-Ups- Same as above. None count that are on the knees. Real push-ups. This dude walked into AK-47 and RPG fire... the least we can do is some good push-ups.
4) 300 Air Squats- Just get through these. I am just hoping at this point that I can count to 300!
5) Another One Mile Run.

That is the plan. No fancy equipment, no BS. Will we suffer a bit? Yeah, a bit. But then again, it will be Memorial Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment