Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Spin Bike and Fever

Last night I went to bed feeling pretty crappy. I felt a fever coming on and knew it was best to get to bed early. I woke up this morning and felt like I had been hit by a truck. I definitely had a fever and felt pretty achy. It cracks me up, no matter how big and strong you may get, a little bacteria or virus will take your ass out!

Without getting too technical about fevers, it is basically a self defense mechanism. The hypothalamus located in the middle of the brain receives pyrogens in the blood that signal the presence of a bacteria or virus in the body. The hypothalamus is the body's thermostat and it cranks up the heat to make the body a place that the invader doesn't want to live in. Sometimes the body will involuntarily shiver in an effort to generate even more heat. You might actually feel a bit cold until your body reaches the temperature that the hypothalamus has determined is needed to kill the bug. Once the body's immune system or medications take care of the bacteria or virus, the body's temperature returns to normal.

The big debate is to let the body do its thing or control the fever with something like ibuprofen? Everything I have learned in medical training says manage the fever and that is what I did today with 1200mg of ibuprofen throughout the day. There is certainly a case to be made however for letting the fever run its course naturally.

Today's quote is from Hillary Clinton:

"It is often when the night looks darkest, it is often before the fever breaks that one senses the gathering momentum for change, when one feels the resurrection of hope in the midst of despair and apathy."

Needless to say I did not do any big workout today but I needed to do something!

Spin Bike Workout- 30 minutes.

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment