Thursday, August 7, 2014

A Lacrosse Ball and a Foam Roller: Hearing a Grown Man Cry

Today was my rest day from the weights for this week. I did some things around here: More painting, walked the dogs and helped my friends move into a new house. I was also really happy to watch the first NFL preseason game! Finally, I went at some of my sore muscles with a lacrosse ball and a foam roller.

Both of these simple and cheap devices are great for self massage. I know in the past I have written about the importance of body work for your overall health. Rolling muscles out with a lacrosse ball or a foam roller help to bridge the gap between visits. Don't get me wrong, these things hurt like hell if you do it right! I didn't have any incense burning and there was no Enya playing in the background either.

Once you have the roller in place and you feel that muscle soreness in a spot, stay on that spot... don't roll away. Breathe deeply and gently roll back and forth over that spot until the soreness is gone. This is just like your massage therapist working out a knot or adhesion in your muscles. It hurts at first but eventually you can feel the muscle smooth out like butter and the pain is gone. Until you find the next knot!! When you are done with the ball or roller make sure to drink lots of water.

Have a great day and we will get back to lifting tomorrow!


No comments:

Post a Comment