Friday, June 6, 2014

Active Rest, Spin Cycling and Cramps

I can't believe social media. I recognize that I am typing in a blog at this moment, but I will avoid the Twitter-verse for as long as I can. I am not a LeBron James fan, but I am not a hater either. Last night during the first game of the NBA Finals the air conditioning failed and the arena was over ninety degrees on the court. The San Antonio Spurs' faithful were fanning themselves with programs in a futile attempt to cool off.

With about seven minutes left in the game LeBron James, the best basketball player in the world, drove to the basket, made a layup and landed below the basket. At that moment, LeBron's legs "locked up" with cramps and LeBron said that his body said, "Okay, no more jumping for you tonight." Hobbled, James had to be carried back to the Heat bench by teammates and watched as his team lost game one to the Spurs.

The second James was carried off the court people went crazy. Today on the internet I read a huge pile of comments basically saying that LeBron needed to "suck it up" and get back in the game. There were comments questioning LeBron's "manhood" and a lot of other very rude and inappropriate attacks. These people have obviously never had a muscle cramp. I have functioned with sprains, strains, dislocations, fractures, concussions... but cramps stop me (and every other athlete in the world) in my tracks. The best LeBron could do was take some IV fluids, rest and hydrate the next day and hopefully be in good shape to play again on Sunday.

Today I had a bit of work to do outside and we decided that today would be our rest day. That gave me an opportunity to get out early in the coolness of the morning and get my work done before it got over one hundred degrees. Would hate to get a cramp?! I will be back at the weights tomorrow.

Today's quote is just a local saying...

"A hundred and ten in the shade is sorta hot, but you don't have to shovel off your driveway!"

Active Rest Day:
25-minute Spin Bike Workout

Have a Great Day!


No comments:

Post a Comment