Wednesday, December 11, 2013

WOD: Chest & Biceps and Footwear

So much of exercise and fitness is personalized. There are things that will work for one person and not work for the next: nutrition, supplements, stretching, etc. The list could really go on forever and I certainly do not claim to have all or even ANY of the answers. I have started to figure out what works for me. When I find those things I stick with them.

With that build up I will dive into the realm of footwear for exercise. As you may know based on my profile that I really liked the book Born to Run by Christopher McDougall. Since reading that book I have moved to a minimalist shoe for exercise and in some cases no shoe at all!

The shoe that I have worn for the last year for general fitness and have been very impressed with has been the Brooks PureConnect versions one and two. It is a super lightweight shoe that breathes well with mesh all the way around but still protects my foot quite well even from the sharp Sonoran flora. The split toe platform goes almost all the way to mid-sole, really giving my rather wide "Fred Flintstone"-like foot room. At 7.2 oz. it hardly feels like I am wearing shoes at all. Being in Tucson, Arizona I have found one fault in the shoe: When running in a wash (Read "dry river bed" for the folks not living in the desert) very fine sand seems to sift through the mesh and build up in the shoe. It is a pretty petty concern for a shoe that I have put through running, tire flipping, farmer's carries, etc. You name it, this shoe has done it!

Off my footwear soapbox and onto the workout: Chest and Biceps.

Lifting with Rebecca: Again, each exercise is three sets.
Dumbbell Flat Bench Press
Dumbbell Incline Bench Press
Flat Bench Dumbbell Flies
Weighted Push-Ups (I use a 50 lbs. V-Force Weight Vest but my backpack full of bricks from the GoRuck Challenge would work just fine!)
Alternating Dumbbell Curls
Dumbbell Concentration Curls
Weighted Dips
Barbell Flat Bench Press

Supplemental Workout:
Barbell Flat Bench with Heavy Chains (See chains from yesterday's post).
Dumbbell Complex "Man-Maker" Rows
Fat Bar Biceps Curls (This is a DIY Fat Bar made out of 2" galvanized pipe filled with sand and corked at the ends).

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment