Monday, December 23, 2013

Multivitamins and the WOD!

Are there any health benefits to taking a daily multivitamin? There seems to be lots of conflicting information out there. It has been a tradition in my family to take vitamins everyday: Multivitamins, Vitamin C, Fish Oil, LOTS of vitamins. Do I need them? How do I know if I have a deficiency?

Recently, the Annals of Internal Medicine posted an article that states that multivitamins don't prevent any major disease (including cancer and cardiovascular disease) and people should stop wasting their money. This editorial article came out a little over one year after the Journal of the American Medical Association posted a study that stated taking a multivitamin daily reduced the overall risk of cancer in men. The Omega three fatty acids in fish oil seem to have preventative properties against cardiovascular disease in middle-aged men.

The best advice that I have gotten is to go see your doctor, have a blood test done and see if you have a vitamin deficiency. If that is not an option, eat a healthy, balanced diet, get outside and get some fresh air and vitamin D from the sun (for a light skinned person like me 10-20 minutes of sunshine a day is enough). For me, I take a daily multivitamin. Educate yourself and you decide what works best for you.

The WOD: Back!
Walking the dog one mile
Dumbbell Pullovers
One Armed Bent Over Dumbbell Row
Upright Sandbag Row
Horizontal Suspension Strap Pull-Ups
Weighted Pull-Ups
Abdominal Work
One Mile Run

Have a great day! 



No comments:

Post a Comment