Thursday, December 19, 2013

Strength, Function and the WOD!


What the hell is functional training anyway? There are as many definitions out there as there are people lifting heavy stuff. There is a guy standing with one foot on a balance board, kettlebell extended over his head, tongue sticking out just right calling it functional training. Then there is a woman carrying a keg full of pea gravel across a parking lot calling THAT functional training. Who is right? Who knows? I personally like to think functional training engages us in everyday movements using weights (i.e. barbells, dumbbells, kettlebells) or everyday objects (i.e. sandbags, stones, kegs, tires). Adding these exercises to supplement a more traditional weightlifting routine has really helped to build my strength.



There are many theories on what should be included when doing a functional training workout. I prefer to focus on using free weights, the use of common postures, positions or motions and the use of dynamic/explosive drive.



Free weights, whether that is something traditional like a dumbbell or an everyday object like a heavy rock, have a couple of advantages. When using these objects, a person has to grip the object, balance the object and then move the object through the body’s range of motion. This not only develops strength in the targeted muscle group but also in the core and builds overall balance. Lifting, say seated on a machine that supports us, does not engage as much of the body and rarely do we find ourselves in these ideal situations, isolating one muscle group.



One of my personal goals is to get stronger and to be able to do my job better. In the course of a NOLS river expedition I may need to portage heavy gear such as canoes, bags full of food or 5-gallon water jugs over uneven terrain. Squatting down, grasping a heavy sandbag and driving up with my legs to shoulder is very similar to lifting a bag of rations. A farmer’s carry is EXACTLY like carrying two jugs of water. These exercises prepare my body for the work I actually do. Not once have I laid on a perfectly flat surface and pressed 270 lbs. up off my chest. Do I bench press? Yes. Do I supplement that exercise with lifts that I will actually do? Absolutely!



When I think about moving that heavy bag of food on a portage, I don’t think about doing ten repetitions of slowly putting that bag on my shoulder. I grab it and in one dynamic motion I drive my body to get it up. Our bodies are meant to function this way. We have evolved to do explosive movements: Lifting, jumping, sprinting, and throwing. We may as well practice it in our routines.

WOD: Shoulder and Triceps
Dumbbell Push-Press
Alternating Front Dumbbell Raise
Lateral Dumbbell Raise
Sandbag Overhead Press
Dumbbell Shrugs
Triceps Diamond Push-ups
Overhead Triceps Press
Suspension Strap Triceps "Face Breakers"
Abdominal Work

Have a great day!





No comments:

Post a Comment