Tuesday, December 24, 2013

How tough are your Shorts? Shoulder and Triceps WOD

I think it was about 2:00 a.m. I think. It was raining, around 40 degrees Fahrenheit and my buddy Bryan and I were standing with our 40 lbs. backpacks held over our heads. We were waiting for our companions to complete their fireman's carries. Once they were done, Cadre Bobby then explained our next two activities: Drag your buddy, with his pack on, about 75 meters then switch for the drag back. Then low crawl out through the mud 75 meters and back.

I did not envy Bryan's task as he began dragging me the 75 meters. Between me and my pack I was probably between 260-270 lbs. As Bryan pulled on the grab loop of my rucksack, I started to slide across the grass, through the mud and through several puddles that threatened to drown me. "I am sorry for everything I have done to bulk up recently" I apologized to Bryan as he grunted along in the cold muck. To myself I thought, "Man, I am glad that I am wearing a good pair of shorts".

The GoRuck Challenge this past November was a really crazy time: Fun, challenging and worth every second. The funniest part of the whole thing was that the weather in Tucson flipped 180 degrees for the 12 hours that we participated in the event. Instead of warm and 60 degrees, we got dumping rain and 40s.

The clothing you wear for the Challenge is crucial. You don't want to bring too little and freeze your ass off, becoming a burden to the rest of your team. Bring too much of anything and you are just carrying extra weight. Bobby gave us enough boulders and a sandbag to carry, we didn't need anymore weight! On top of weight considerations, whatever clothing item it is, it has to be TOUGH. This is a review of the best damn shorts I have ever owned, the UN92 Crossfit Action Shorts.

UN92 is a California based company that has been making MMA fight shorts since 1992. I have two pairs of these shorts and I wear one of them everyday for my workouts. They are versatile enough to swim in, run in, lift, jump, whatever it is that you want to do. The fabric is light, breathable and incredibly stretchy. You can move in these shorts! UN92 has managed to make not only a comfortable product but one that is also damn near bulletproof. It has a velcro fly and waist as well as a drawstring closure. I think that combination is all that kept my shorts on my butt through the GoRuck drag in the mud! My one suggestion: When washing these shorts, close the velcro waist and fly before putting them in the washing machine. If you don't, every sock you own will be stuck to the fly when the spin cycle is done!

Today's workout has made it back to Shoulders and Triceps. These dumbbell workouts while visiting for the holidays are fine, but I look forward to getting back to the gym at home! I miss my barbell, sled, hammers, tires and stones!

Standing Shoulder Press, Super-set with Suspension Strap Reverse Flies
Alternating Front Dumbbell Raise
Lateral Dumbbell Raise
Shoulder Shrugs
Sandbag Overhead Press
Dumbbell Triceps Press
Suspension Strap Triceps Face Breakers
Weighted Diamond Push-ups
Abdominal Work

Have a great day!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment