Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Crossfit Day Two and Becky Hammon Makes History Again!

Not that long ago I posted when Becky Hammon became the first woman Assistant Coach in NBA history. As an Assistant Coach for the San Antonio Spurs Hammon has had the opportunity to learn under one of the greatest coaches in the NBA, Gregg Popovich. Popovich and the Spurs have not made too much of Hammon's hiring. They have emphasized over and over that she was hired for her basketball knowledge, not to just hire the first full-time woman assistant coach. That seems to have been reinforced by the fact that the Spurs just won the NBA Summer League with Hammon, not Popovich at the helm. Awesome!

Today was day two for the Crossfit trial. The instruction was again excellent. I had never done a Barbell Push Jerk before. The coach broke it down into simple steps and then watched and did a great job of detecting and correcting form issues. I am also not very gymnastically talented. Whenever I attempt handstand push-ups I am either concerned about crashing through the wall or smashing my head into the floor. I was given some great ways to modify these by using a box in a pike position to start building up my strength for future handstand push-ups. Finally, I have done Barbell Power Snatches before, but not real ones. I was coached in the finer points and learned a ton. Day two: Great stuff!

Warm-up:
3 minute Row
5 PVC Passthroughs
PVC Shoulder Stretches
5 minutes AMRAP:
10 Barbell Box Back Squat
30 second Wall Sit with a Medicine Ball squeezed between legs (20lbs./14lbs.)
10 Barbell Overhead Press
30 second Handstand Hold
Strength:
4×2 Push Jerk from rack at 85% of one repetition maximum (I used 155lbs.)
WOD:
Metabolic conditioning for time:
Three rounds: 18-15-12 repetitions
Handstand Push-ups (modified for clumsy oafs like me)
Power Snatch (I used 95lbs.)
Cooldown:
3 minute walk

Have a Great Day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment