Friday, April 4, 2014

Chest, Biceps and Learning from Mistakes

Busy Friday at work that made us shift our morning lifting routine to the evening and eliminated the possibility of a circuit training. We did get in a good lifting session however.

The last time I benched I got cocky and tried to jump from 290 lbs. all the way up to 300 lbs. and got humbled when I couldn't complete one repetition without help. There is a model we use in experiential education to learn from our mistakes: "What? So What? Now What?" Here is how that model works in this situation:

What? I got smoked by trying to jump from 290 to 300 lbs.
So What? Maybe it is a better idea not to be so cocky and to try something more reasonable... I don't know... say 295 lbs.
Now What? Remembering the spanking that I took last time, I was more reasonable today. I was actually able to bench a personal best 295 lbs. without any help!

Today's quote comes from our NOLS founder, Paul Petzoldt:

"The ability to laugh at oneself and recognize ones own human weaknesses is a desirable quality of leadership."

Evening Weight Training Session: Chest and Biceps
Heavy Bench Press
Weighted Dips
Flat Bench Dumbbell Press
Incline Bench Dumbbell Press
Dumbbell Flies
Push-Ups
Standing Alternating Dumbbell Curls
Concentration Dumbbell Curls

Have a Great Day!




No comments:

Post a Comment