Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Active Rest and the Importance of Documentation

Today is a day off from lifting. Time for the body to recover from a week of getting beat up: Lifting, jumping, sprinting, climbing. It takes a toll and it is important to give the body a day to recharge. Eat, hydrate and get ready for legs tomorrow!

I also wanted to share with you the importance of documenting workouts. Yes, I do that by writing this blog but I also keep a record that is much more detailed. The photo to the right is my notebook that I use (a 3-1/2"x 5-1/2"Field Notes Graph Paper Notebook) to keep track of the progress of my workouts.

For the most part, with weightlifting exercises I do three sets. I tend to do 10 repetitions on the first set, add weight and do 6-8 repetitions on the second set and then add more weight and do 2-4 repetitions on the last set. For bodyweight exercises I keep track of the number of repetitions I do (i.e. triceps diamond push-ups) and with others I keep track of the amount of weight I am adding to my bodyweight (i.e. weighted dips). A few exercises (i.e. bench press, deadlifts) I will often go for one maximum weight repetition.

I carefully write in the amount of weight used during my last set of weightlifting exercises, the total number of repetitions for bodyweight exercises or the final weight that I have added to weighted exercises. Using this little notebook and documenting my workouts has a few benefits: 1) This notebook is very small and fits easily in my gym bag. Writing down the information immediately after completing the exercise ensures its accuracy. 2) I can't remember anything. By writing it down I am able to remember the last weight I used. If the weight I used on my final set seemed too light or I feel that I could increase the number of repetitions, I will draw an arrow pointing up. This arrow indicates that the next time I do that exercise I should increase either the weight or the number of repetitions. 3) I am able to look at my progress easily over weeks, months, hell over the last couple of years. It is great for appreciating how far I have come and for looking ahead at future goals. 4) Finally, I am a firm believer that if it isn't written down, then it didn't happen!


Today's quote is from Albert Einstein:

"Paper is to write things down that we need to remember. Our brains are used to think."

Active Rest:
30-minute Medium Resistance Spin Bike Ride
100- Abdominal Crunches

Have a Great Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment