Sunday, March 30, 2014

One and Done and Lifting to Failure

I was sorely disappointed today as my NCAA bracket got completely nuked. It is frustrating for me to see a team like Kentucky win when I know that Coach Calipari is not developing those players as "Student-Athletes" and molding them into educated young men with college degrees. Is he playing within the rules? Absolutely. John Calipari carefully recruits players that are extremely talented and gifted, coaches them for one year and sends them off to the NBA. It is within the rules, but that doesn't mean that it is a good thing or even the right thing. I will now get off my soapbox and just hope that the Wisconsin Badgers beat the tar out of Kentucky in the Final Four!

Today I experienced failure and I will tell you that it felt good. I bench pressed 290 lbs. the last time that my chest workout rolled around. It was a struggle but I got the weight up completely unassisted. Today I warmed up and when the time came I had the option to stick at 290 lbs. or maybe even try a crack at 295 lbs. What did I do? I stacked a nice round 300 lbs. on the bar. I got the bar about half way up and my progress ground to a halt. The bar hovered there for a heartbeat and was not going any further. Finally, my spotter helped just enough for me to finish my one repetition with assistance. It is good to know where my limit is, it is good to be humbled and it is good to have a very clear goal to shoot for!

Today's quote is from former North Carolina State Basketball Coach 
Jim Valvano:

"How do you go from where you are to where you wanna be? And I think you have to have an enthusiasm for life. You have to have a dream, a goal. And you have to be willing to work for it."

Weight Training: Chest and Biceps
Morning Session:
Heavy Dumbbell Flat Bench Press
Incline Dumbbell Chest Press
Dumbbell Flies
Weighted Push-Ups
Alternating Dumbbell Curls
Concentration Dumbbell Curls
Bench Press with Heavy Chains
Weighted Dips

Evening Session:
Heavy Bench Press (Four sets ending at one repetition for maximum lift)
Gymnastic Ring Push-Ups, Weighted with Heavy Chain (Three sets)
Fat Bar Barbell Reverse Curls (Four Sets)

Have a Great Day!





No comments:

Post a Comment