Thursday, June 18, 2015

Hot, Damn Hot, Hydration and a Cardiorespiratory Interval Day

Yesterday it was 109 degrees when I set out to exercise. My workout area is in the shade, there was a slight breeze and thankfully in Tucson there is almost no humidity. However, in the end I had to adjust the workout a little bit because of the heat. I cut down the number of burpees and extended the rest period between sets to between 45-60 seconds depending on how I was feeling. I also had a gallon jug of cold water that I was hitting liberally between each set. According to the National Athletic Trainers' Association you would ideally have around 20 ounces of water two hours before starting a workout in the heat, 7-10 ounces every 10-20 minutes during exercise and 16-24 ounces of water afterwards for every pound of weight lost during the exercise session. Summer has arrived here.... take care of yourself!

Today's quote is from Ben Stein:

"If you can't stand the heat, don't go to Cancun in the summer."

Workout: Cardiorespiratory Interval Training
Warm-Up: 5 minute easy spin
Spin Bike Interval Training, 5 sets of 5 minutes maximal effort, 5 minutes easy spin
Cool-down: 5 minutes easy spin
Bicycle Abdominal Crunch, 50 repetitions

Have a Great Day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment