Sunday, November 9, 2014

DIY Slam Ball and the Back Workout

Today I made a do-it-yourself 20lbs. Slam Ball to use as part of our warm-up today. Here is a step by step guide of went I went through. It turned out pretty well. We will have to see how it holds up.

1) Buy a used basketball at a thrift store or used sporting goods store. You can usually find one for a couple of dollars. Buy a tire patch kit for an ATV. I got one at ACE hardware for just over $1.50. There are definitely enough patches in there to make a number of Slam Balls.

2) I have the bonus of living in the desert and sand is readily available. I went into the wash (read "dry creek bed" if you are not from the desert...) and pulled out our sifter that we use for our compost. I shoveled sand into the sifter so that I got very small diameter rocks and sand. See photo #1. If you do not have sand nearby, you can purchase a bag of playground sand from the local hardware store.

3) I then looked at the diameter of the sand and stones and chose a funnel that the rocks and sand could pass through. I then used a power drill to drill a hole in the ball so that the funnel could fit snuggly into the hole. See photo #2.


4) Fill the ball with the sand until you get to the desired weight.

5) Grab the tire patch kit and follow the directions. In my case I roughed up the surface of the ball around the hole, cleaned that rough area, applied the patch kit rubber cement and then let it dry. I then cut the patch material so that it was larger than the hole, but a bit smaller in diameter than the applied rubber cement. Then I applied the patch. See photos #4, #5, #6 and #7.


6) Finally I added a bead of rubber cement around the edge of the patch to finish it off. See photo #8.

7) Let it all dry for a couple of hours and then slam the hell out of that thing!

Workout: Back
Warm-Up: Perform each exercise in order to complete a set. Three sets total. No rest between sets.
100m Sprint, 3
Abdominal Crunches, 50 repetitions
Ball Slams, 25 repetitions
24" Box Jumps, 20
Weight Training:
Dumbbell Pullover, 3 sets of 6-8 repetitions
Dumbbell Bent Over Row, 3 sets of 5-6 repetitions
Barbell Upright Row, 3 sets of 6-8 repetitions
Landmine Row, 3 sets of 6-8 repetitions
Pull-Ups, 3 sets of maximum repetitions
Deadlift, 3 sets of 2 repetitions

Have a Great Day!









































No comments:

Post a Comment