Monday, April 17, 2017

The Buckeye Program

Anyone who checks on this blog even occasionally knows that I change things up pretty regularly. I get bored, I plateau, I like to try new things so I can recommend them to clients, whatever. I am going to work on my power lifting again and did some research on different programs and discovered the "Buckeye Program". I have poked around and I cannot find who came up with this program.... I have to assume it was someone at Ohio State University? I am going to use this program for my bench press and my back squat. Monday will be squats, Wednesday will be bench press and on Fridays I will continue to do my deadlifting. The deadlifting is not going to follow the "Buckeye Program".

For the "Buckeye Program", you need to know what your one repetition maximum weight is for the lift you are training. With that weight, subtract 20 lbs. to get what is called your "working one rep max".

Here's an example using a one repetition maximum of 275 lbs. Subtract 20 lbs to get 255 the "working one rep max".

Buckeye Routine 255 lbs.
Set 1 65% x 8 reps = 165 x 8
Set 2 72.5% x 6 reps = 185 x 6
Set 3 80% x 4 reps = 205 x 4
Set 4 85% x 3 reps = 215 x 3
Set 5 90% x 2 reps = 230 x 2
Set 6 92.5% x 1 rep = 235 x 1
Set 7 75% x 4 reps = 190 x 4

Do all of these sets in one workout and if you are successful in each one, next workout add 5 lbs to the "working one rep max", Recalculate the percentages, and repeat. If you fail on a set, then the next workout you have to repeat all of the sets again. Once you have completed all of the sets increase your "working one rep max" by 5 lbs.

Warm-Up:
PVC Good Morning, 15 repetitions
Jump Squat, 20 repetitions
Foam Roller
Weight Training:
Back Squat, Buckeye Routine (moving up 5 lbs. next week...)
AbMat Butterfly Sit-Up, 100 repetitions
Mobility:
Quadriceps Stretch
Hamstring Stretch

Have a Great Day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment