Monday, February 3, 2014

Thoughts on Middle Age and Strength Training, Shoulders, Triceps and the WOD: "YO! ADRIAN!"

It is interesting looking back at the way I train now at forty-four and compare it to my youth. My time in the basement with my Dad and brothers doing dumbbell exercises getting ready for the soccer season as kids. My time on Camp Foster on Okinawa as a young Marine working hard in the gym, believing in the motto that "Strong people are harder to kill". And now, squarely middle aged lifting heavy weights six days a week.

There are some lessons that I have learned over the years and apply now. Maybe they will help you, maybe it is just common sense. Hell, I don't know but here they are anyway:

#1 At 44 years old I don't recover nearly as quickly as I used to... from anything. A hard workout, a long day of paddling, or a heavy night of drinking. You name it and it takes longer to bounce back than it did when I was twenty. A solid 7-8 hours of sleep is a must or I am a wreck.

#2 I used to be able to eat anything and have the energy to work all day. In the Marines I would eat a big breakfast and then get a breakfast sandwich and hash browns to go. Lunch and then a burger and fries to go. Dinner and another burgers and fries. I had the gut of a goat.

I still eat quite a bit to have the calories I need to workout hard, but I am more aware. Every meal has fruit and or vegetables in it. And I drink over a gallon of water a day (This will be the subject of a post later this week...) You need to be more aware of the food you consume as you get older to perform at a high level.

#3 Take care of your body. Learn and practice good lifting technique. If you aren't a person who can learn through reading or watching YouTube, go get coached up on proper technique from a trainer. Get a chiropractic adjustment when things don't feel structurally sound. Get a massage when you need to loosen up. Take good care of your well rested, well fed and well hydrated body.

#4 Finally, don't be afraid to lift heavy weights. At 44 years old I am now dead-lifting more than I ever have. Middle age does not have to take you out of the game, you just need to take better care of your body.

Weight Training: Shoulders and Triceps
Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press
Alternating Front Dumbbell Raises
Lateral Dumbbell Raises
Dumbbell Triceps Kickbacks
Diamond Push-ups
Overhead Dumbbell Triceps Press
Captains of Crush Grip Trainers

Circuit Training WOD: "YO! ADRIAN!"(Each exercise done for one minute and fifteen seconds, three sets. One minute rest between sets).
Jump Rope
Triceps Dips
One Armed Landmine Push Press
Diamond Push-ups
Heavy Bag Work
Crunches
Heavy Rope Whips

Have a Great Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment